The 9th Regional Congress of Salesian Cooperators
7 – 10 May 2017
Buona Festa di Maria Ausiliatrice!
Once again we thank Japan Province for hosting this EAO Congress, and particularly Veronica (Taeko NAKAMURA) for all her translation effort in the long process of preparation for a successful event, for the very first time in Japan! She is not as visible as her work which is important and yet critical for a province with very few English speaking members
When meeting again after three years, we want to share our accomplishment of the following initiatives that we own as a region, as One Family:
- “For the Young” project
- Each Province to come up with concrete projects “For the Young”
- based on actual challenges and resources, address the fundamental question “what we can do for the young?”
- undergo discernment process to know “who can we do for?”
- last question is “how to do?” There many different approaches and methodologies but after all, Solidarity of the province is the key to success.
- World Delegate Fr. Casti suggested
- bridge the connection between the Salesian Family and the Salesian Youth, as the best way to accompany the young;
- need to accompany young people to enter our Association;
- we should give more attention to the Young.
- Formation as the priority
- Translate and more importantly start to adopt the Formation Guidelines (the green book distributed in the Congress) by end/2017.
- Rethink the way of doing formation, esp. the ongoing formation. Consider the World Council’s direction for Formation, such as the 4 Pillars and 3 Dimensions presented by Fr. Casti. For those not yet complete, there is a need to hurry up the translation of the PAL.
- Formator Workshop to be organized for those responsible for provincial formation so that we can do our job better.
- Presence at the World Congress 2018
- Provincial Coordinator
- Provincial Delegate (one of the two)
- Provincial Formator be the top selection if the (big) province is allowed to send 3 reps.
These were discussed by the EAO Advisory Council at the side meeting on 10/May morning, while most other participants were enjoying the youth sharing, and presented to all at the closing session. Other meeting notes may be obtained from the provincial coordinators and/or provincial delegates who attended this regional meeting. Thanks to Arlene Talaue (FIN provincial coordinator) for her kind help of taking excellent notes!
“I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.” (Matthew 25:40)
Many thanks to all of you, individually or as a province, who responded to my calling last month for economic solidarity! Because of your kind contribution, some members in need were able to come and be together with us.
- Donation received
- Japan Province offered free registration to the youth participants and waived the registration fee for some members from Mongolia and Vietnam, estimate amount US$12,580
- Mainland China = US$1000
- Pacific Delegation = A$500
- Korea Province = US$2000
- China Province = US$1000
- Philippines North Province = US$200 + ₱2500
- Offerings from Mass during the Congress, estimate amount ¥360,000
- Donation used
- Vietnam: air ticket x 2 = US$717
- Mongolia: air ticket x 4 = US$2740
- Offerings from Mass were all given to East Timor, Mongolia and Vietnam to support their youth apostolic work.
- Donation balance
- This could be a seed money for the next congress (depending up the needs of host province); or
- will be put in good hands of Fr. Klement for the EAO Salesian zones in need.
The presentation materials, including the interesting videos “House of Joy” that many of you asked for, Action Plans, liturgy of Mass, and photos are now available with the link below. A big thanks to Mr. Mamoru Umemura (my great partner for the provincial report gaming session) for his help in collecting and uploading them to Google drive:
Let’s pray to the Holy Spirit and entrust to Mary Help of Christians for guidance of turning our plans to reality, with courage. See you again in the next EAO Congress!
Sincerely yours in Don Bosco,
World Councillor/EAO 2014-20